Monday, June 23, 2008

True Genius

I was very sad to hear about George Carlin's death. I know he suffered with heart problems for a pretty long time, but 71 really isn't very old. The word "genius" is thrown around a lot, but in my estimation the only true geniuses of comedy have been Richard Pryor & George Carlin. Chris Rock will eventually join that illustrious list, also, I think. I was fortunate enough to have seen George Carlin in person, & it was an unforgettable experience. I also read his books, & for someone who dropped out of school in the 9th grade, he really put the lie to the need for higher education. But I guess when you're a genius to start with, & also have such an enquiring mind & quick wit, learning is a life-long pleasure, actually. RIP, George. You made us laugh, & you made us think. We will miss you & your ability to slash through all the bullshit to get to the truth.

No comments: