Sunday, November 4, 2007

This & That

One thing I plan to write about (other than politics) is my pet peeves &/or things that are unbelieveably stupid. I have been to New York numerous times & to Southern California a few times, but one thing seems to always be consistent: NEVER seeing celebrities when I just know they're crawling all over the place. Ok, I saw Tony Randall once in New York (does anyone not ancient even know who he is? Hint: the Odd Couple on T.V.), & I convinced myself I saw John McEnroe on a street corner in L.A. the last time I was there (late Sept.), but come on- frigging Britney Spears is all over the place, riding around in her car constantly with papparazzi following her, & not even one sighting? I think she's a train wreck, but damn, she is a celebrity, & she's everywhere but where I happen to be at the moment. Of course, I've seen celebrities in L.A. at concerts & talk shows, but they're SUPPOSED to be in those places. My daughter's (& my) friend Arlan, who we stayed with last time in L.A. (thanks again, Arlan) sees & meets celebrities ALL THE TIME. Of course, she's got lots of blogs with all kinds of fans of her own, & she's one of those people who can literally talk to anybody, anytime, about anything, but still- you've got to see them before you can talk to them. Even though my daughter & I were actually WITH Arlan almost all the time while in L.A., still: NO CELEBRITY SIGHTINGS! I guess that proves that it must be my bad luck, & even proximity to me is contagious. This is not exactly an earth-shattering problem, or even very important in the overall scheme of things, but still, it bugs the shit out of me, & damn it, this is my chance to express my frustration about it. So there.

On a way more important note, one thing I wonder about is exactly when "conservative" became a synonym for huge spending & meddling in peoples' lives, both private & public (not to mention shredding the Constitution). Barry Goldwater is undoubtedly spinning in his grave (note: I, like Hillary, was a "Goldwater Girl" in 1964), with these hypocritical stumblebums in power pretending to be conservatives. At least the so-called "big government" policies of the Democrats try to actually do things to make peoples' lives better, not worse. I guess Bush & his cronies are really trying to prove that government doesn't work. Hell of a job, Bushies!

4 comments:

th-Inker said...

hehe...i think you may be cursed. Last time I went to L.A. I saw scads of "celebs", granted crappy movie stars and soap operas but still. Besides, you got to see Ellen right! what other celebrity matters? :P

Anonymous said...

My tip would be: whenever you think you may have seen a celebrity, just tell your brain {and everyone else} that you DID. You did you did you did.

I saw no one in summer, seven weeks in your celebrity-embedded country and not one sighting. Rubbish!

arlan said...

just last night i was two feet away from both Wilson Cruz (my so-called life's ricky) and Sara Ramirez (callie from grey's anatomy)... if i could have beamed you and sarah here, i certainly would have! :-)

hergrrl said...

Have you seen Comedy Central's show "Lil' Bush"? I think you would really like it.