Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Twilight Zone

In whatever alternative universe he seems to inhabit, Dubya thinks the economy is "doing okay." I guess in Bushworld, he could be right. I'm sure that he & his friends are doing just dandy. Meanwhile, most of the rest of us are struggling to pay our bills, while our salaries are just not keeping up. I don't know about you, but I can't afford $3 gas & higher utility & food prices, but this president is so totally isolated from the real world, he doesn't have a clue. Not that he would care, anyway, & that's the pathetic part of it. I would pick frigging Mike Huckabee or Mitt Romney over Bush, that's how disgusted I am with him. Not that I would even think seriously of voting Republican: the first & last time I would have done that was 1964, for Goldwater, & back then I couldn't vote yet (in the Dark Ages). Is it really possible that everything in this country is actually getting even worse than we thought it could get? The absolute saddest & most pathetic thing is that we all just have accepted that conditions in almost every area of American life CAN get worse. The American dream has become the American nightmare under Bush & his cronies, & I just cannot understand how we could have let this happen. It astounds me, & I'm pretty cynical.

Anyway, I guess we all should try to make the best of it through the holidays, but after that, we have got to get serious, folks. I read that Sen. Chris Dodd is considering running for majority leader in the Senate, & since he's one of the few Democrats (running for president or not) that actually has a backbone & at least tries to use it, I really hope he does run & win. To say I'm underwhelmed by what the congressional Democrats, especially in the Senate, have done so far after all the expectations we had for them is an understatement. They're still letting Bush fuck them at almost every opportunity. I mean, come on, we don't have to take this shit. What's really interesting is that despite the war, the scandals, the disregard of our civil liberties, & all the other outrages perpetrated on us for the past (almost) 8 years, again it may be "it's the economy, stupid" that finally resonates with people next year. Economic conditions sure aren't going to get any better; if anything, they'll get worse. If we would have another 4 years of Republican rule, I honestly think the middle class in America would be a memory. We'd become like lots of those countries in South America & other places in the world where there's just the rich & the poor, with nothing in between.
I don't think that my grandparents & all the other immigrants who came to this country hoping for a better life could have ever foreseen this happening. That still just might be the ultimate tragedy of the Bush administration.

In spite of all this, please try to have a good holiday season, & we'll take on the bastards again next year, ok?

No comments: